Many men and women considering ditching their prescription eyewear might start thinking about using contact lenses. While these medical devices can help you see clearly without dealing with eyeglasses, they do require specific care and attention to ensure they are comfortable and safe. Patients who visit Southside Eye Care in the area of Chesapeake, VA can learn about ways to maintain their contact lenses and keep their eyes healthy!
How to care for contact lenses
Below are several recommendations to maintain safety and efficiency of your contact lenses:
- Undergo an eye examination with a professional to obtain a prescription for contact lenses. This prescription is different than the prescription for eyeglasses and requires a separate evaluation.
- Always wash your hands before you insert or remove contact lenses, as any bacteria or debris on the fingers can end up in the eye.
- Avoid rubbing the eyes while wearing contact lenses to keep them from loosening.
- Avoid using old contact solution. Check the expiration date of contact solution before using it to clean or store your contact lenses.
- Use the right product to clean and store contact lenses. Contact lens solution is the only solution that should be used. Water and saliva are not appropriate for moistening contact lenses and can increase one’s risk of infection.
- Use the contacts for the directed length of time. Read the packaging and talk to the optometrist about the length of time to use contact lenses. Some are intended for long-term use, while others are used for daily, one-time use.
- Do not fall asleep with contact lenses in, as this can significantly dry out the eyes.
- Ask your doctor when your contact lenses should be replaced, and closely follow all recommendations from your provider.
Care for your contacts to maintain vision health
If you are considering moving from prescription eyeglasses to contact lenses, it is important that you find out if contacts are right for you and your lifestyle. Contact the team of Southside Eye Care in Chesapeake, VA to discuss care and attention required to keep contacts clean and safe. Call (757) 484-0101 to book a consultation visit with our staff at 3206 Churchland Boulevard. Our facility is open to new and current patients seeking quality vision care and assistance.